Saturday, November 1, 2008

Halloween: Episode II

So, my kids didn't get my costume. But more surprisingly Neither Did the Teachers!
One teacher said it was cute. She thought I was a "Candy Person." Huh?
One of them thought I was a Hippie. Were the Hippies in the habit of sewing candy on their clothing?

My kids were more interested in if they could eat the candy. I told them if it fell off, it was theirs. And as they day went on, it did fall off. I sewed them in rows, and once one fell, the entire row went. I started with 100 Smarties. I ended up with 43. Plus my earrings.

I had to tell my class that I was a "Smartie" pants. Once they understood, they thought I was brilliant. And then like the good little loud, sugar-high monsters they were, they told everyone. Loudly. In the hallways on their way to the bathroom. Or just yelling it from the door while waiting in line.

So word got around, and all was well. Or as well as it can be when you are marching in front of parents in ridiculous clothing. And they make you hold a sign that says "Ms. Pettit Room 12." We all feel so stupid holding that sign, we immediately give it to a kid, even though we're not supposed to. (Apparently the PTA is worried the kids might tear it. Of course they will tear it. They will probably hit several people with it. Please, it's a piece of paper on a yard stick. Make a new one next year.

Our Jr. Highs and High Schools had school off because it is end of term for them, so some of my old kids came. My bishop came.

That was fun. Or humiliating. I haven't decided.

Several former students came dressed a Jedi Knights. They told me they wanted to be like me, and where was my costume. I have fans!

Three parents in the parade asked where my Star Wars costume was and told me they specifically came to see that. Really? You come to the Driggs Parade just to see me dressed as a Jedi? How sad.

But now I don't have to try and decide what to be next year. Apparently the parents don't just expect me to be a good teacher. I must also be a force of justice in the galaxy.

I better replace the batteries in my lightsaber.

May the Force Be With You.

5 comments:

Erin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Erin said...

awesome! Really no one got it? Weird.

Sharlon said...

That's sad that no one got it! But at least next year will be less stressful, you already know what to dress as. I might steal your idea for next year, that is if my kids let me. I was informed I embarrassed them last year when I dressed in my pjs and put curlers in my hair and wore my big fluffy robe with my goofy slippers. Tev even asked me not to dress up. So sad!!!! So this year I only wore my Spooky shirt and passed out candy in the least embarrassing way I could.

christina pettit said...

My mom thought you looked really cute and told me to dress like you! She loved the shirt.
HEy, thanks for going to visit her. She was so tickled that the kids came to trick or treat there.

Jennie-O said...

Hey, I thought Erin's idea for you to dress up as a smarty pants was brilliant!! It's sad no one was smart enough to get the joke....