Monday, July 14, 2008

Hawaii!

On Sunday, My sister Kathi, my gorgeous neice Katelynn, and I are leaving on a jet plane . . .
We're going to Hawaii!
That was what Katelynn wanted for her graduation gift (along with tuition to the Y for the next 4 to 6 years). And the dear sweet girl asked if her favorite aunt would like to come.

Seriously, she really asked if I wanted to go with her.

My sister Kathi is one of four nutty daughters in our family. It is a sad statement when I say that my sister Erin is probably the most levelheaded out of the four of us girls. Come on guys, you know we're all a little crazy. The Happy, Fun kind. (Rob is just sad that I said it first).
And when my wonderfully crazy sister Kathi planned this vacation, she planned a car rental.
Now I have been on several vacations with my just-as-crazy cousin Autumn, where we rented a car. We learned early on there are two things I should not be allowed to do:
1) Drive in unfamiliar cities
2) Navigate in unfamiliar cities

I like to say I'm there for morale.

Kathi wants me to get us from the airport in Honolulu to our hotel on the other side of Oahu. I told Erin, she laughed. I told Autumn, she cried. So I bought a map.

When do they teach map reading in school? I teach fourth grade and we don't learn about this kind of map. I can recognize roads, but shouldn't I be able to see exits and stuff? Or like the pioneers, do we make our own for those who will come behind?

I have actually called people in Hawaii and they all tell me the same two things.
You can't get lost on the freeways in Oahu and some place great to eat.

That's what my dad used to say about the freeways in California. (But not a great place to eat part)

Maybe we'll just keep driving and driving. I now have a very long list of restaurants to visit, and we're bound to make it back to the airport sooner or later. We'll stop and eat, or stop and swim.
It's an island. I doubt even I could navigate us into the ocean.

Erin, and Autumn, I heard that.

2 comments:

Erin said...

so funny!

Seriously are you really the best choice for the drive? I mean between you and Kathi it is a tossup.

Jennie-O said...

Hey, there are great places to eat in California. You can't get lost on the freeways there either. Of course that's coming from a Californian. I only got lost once.