Friday, August 22, 2008

My windows face full west!

You get ten points if you know where I got that title.

My classroom windows face west which is nice in the mornings. Things stay cooler (a relative term in Utah schools) until after lunch. And then the sun comes around the building. But by then we only have a couple of hours left. No one has died yet.

The problem comes when the district schedules parent teacher conferences between 4:00 and 7:00 in the evening. I was there for the last two evenings and it was awful.

So here is the first impression my parents have of their kid's new teacher:

no makeup (it melted around 4:10)
sweaty armpits (yuck!)
hair pulled in a scraggley bun (I had it all nice . . . and then I out it up off my neck)

They must think I am some sort of street person. But my earrings were new and really cute. If you know me, my earrings are very important to me. And I did wear a skirt and the outfits were nice. But I forgot to shave my legs. Let's face facts. In a parent teacher conference, no one cares what my legs look like.

The more I think about it, I was probably looked less like a street person and more like some hippie earth muffin. Nice.

3 comments:

Erin said...

It's all in the earrings. If your ears look great that is all that matters.

christina pettit said...

you know it . . . and I do have great earrings

sarah louise said...

As a parent I truly care if my kid's teacher has shaved their legs. That is something very important to look for in your child's teacher! JK

As I went to back to school night and the teacher was standing up in front of all the parents trying to convince them that her teaching style was just perfect for their kids, I had major flashbacks. It is nerve racking to be a teacher in front of the parents. Kids are easy to handle, parents make you sweat!

Good luck this year my friend!