Friday, August 29, 2008

A cluttered desk is a sign of . . .

This has been a very strange week. We started school on Monday at 8:35 a.m. At 8:30 a.m. I had two brand new students walk through my door. I have 6 students who are brand spanking new to the school. Two are from out of state. And one is from France, who doesn't speak any English. Yeah! You can imagine, things were not as organized as I would like them to be that first day. However my desk doesn't usually get too bad until the second week of school.

Anyway, on Tuesday, the second day of school, I had to leave at 12:55 because I was sick. I don't get sick very often, so this was odd. But I went home.

Bless the other teachers who helped out, especially with my little French student. (How do you say, "Sorry your teacher ditched you while she was reading a story. Come here and silently pretend to read this book." in French?)

When I got in the next morning, feeling much better, there's this note on my desk from the librarian. She had come in to watch the kids and do a little teaching. The note said:

"I taught lesson 1.1 in math. We couldn't find your planner so we read the first chapters of Fablehaven. Hope you feel better!"

A teacher's planner is huge. It takes up the entire desk, and the two pages that are open show a full week. It is a difficult thing to lose. And here it is the second day of school and already people are telling me they can't find things on my desk.

I cleaned it that morning.

Happily the, the rest of the week was much smoother, the class is DARLING, and I need to learn French. Fast.

7 comments:

sarah louise said...

I could teach you 3 things:
"wi" means yes (I know you know this I was just kidding)
"sal de ban" means bathroom
and
"je mel pel" means my name is.
That is the exent of my 2 years of high school french. Looks like I retained a lot! Hey at least I could find the bathroom in France right?

Do you remember Lyndsey in my class who loved to organize and would beg me to let her clean my desk because my clutter made her have a panic attack? I liked that your desk was cluttered too...it made us comrades! Though mine was always worse then yours.

Erin said...

You know what they say about clutter. It is the sign of a clutterd mind.

I hate that saying!

christina pettit said...

Sarah, my dear sweet friend. You skipped the spelling lesson. According to my semi fluent and now frustrated roommate, those phrases are spelled:
oui
salle de bain
je m'appelle
(But I could pronounce tham, so what does it really matter?)
But that's ok. I keep using my highschool spanish on him. He'll come away knowing something :)

I used to let my second graders clean my desk all the time. They could be conned into doing it. The older they get the wiser they are. And you were never as disorganized as I still am. Remember when you went on maternity?

sarah louise said...

I knew I spelled them wrong, but I was too lazy to look them up so I just spelled them how they sound. What do we teachers call that...invented spelling? (:

christina pettit said...

Sarah:

LOL!

Jennie-O said...

That is pretty sad that they couldn't see your organizer. I think you should have posted pictures of your cluttered desk for proof. Does your desk at school include multiple bottles of mostly consumed pepsi? :)

christina pettit said...

No, multiple bottles of mostly consumed Diet Coke. They don't sell Pepsi in the machine at work.