Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Why Exercise is BAD

One of my new year's resolutions is to exercise 20 minutes everyday. Last spring I went to the Bahamas and in the summer I went to Hawaii and both times I was shocked and appalled at what I look like in a swimsuit. It had been a LONG time since I had put on a swim suit. Apparently with very good reason. It was not a pretty sight.

But I have two reasons to slim down.

I have a doctors appointment in March and they always weigh me. While I don't own a scale I do worry about this weigh in. Because my doctor has this skinny little MA who actually does the weighing and then gives me a spiel about how women "our age" have a difficult time losing weight. Like we're in some club together. (She probably wears a size 2.) Plus, I don't want to be one of those women who are classified as "our age" yet. That's what my mom says to my Aunt MaryEllen. People who talk about other people "our age" are old. Or at least older than me.

So it is discouraging on two counts. I get to hear my weight, and I get to be reminded about how I'm not getting any younger.

My second reason is that My niece, Brittanie invited me to go on cruise with her to Mexico this summer. So, once again I must pull on my swimsuit. Or not go. Yeah right.

So I am exercising. But here's the thing.

I AM one of those women who are "our age!" I know this because every time I start to exercise, things start to pop. My knees mostly, but all my joints are joining in the chorus by the time I'm cooling down. After my shower today I walked downstairs and my ankles and knees popped with every step. As I type, my wrists are popping. The vertebrae in my back pop as I sit down or stand up.

When did my body get older than my mind? I don't recall this process. It happened when I wasn't looking and I am not prepared for the consequences.

But, come hell or high water, in June I will be able to wear a swimsuit.

I'll still cover up because let's face it, the only thing scarier than my body in a swimsuit is my Utah tan uncovered.

3 comments:

sarah louise said...

I so understand the popping thing. Now that I am exercising a lot I am surprised at how creaky I have become!

Autumn said...

Girl, I hear you! And I'm very jealous - swimsuit or not!

Sharlon said...

Glad I'm not the only one "popping" here! Hate it!!

ENjoy your cruise, sounds like fun. I have to go swimming with the YW, but that activity isn't until October, so I have a little more time to get ready, but there is always our yearly trip to Cherry Hill in July. Yuck! We need swimsuits like they use to have that covered well, mostly for our lovely Utah tans!!!!