Thursday, October 23, 2008

Walking Fieldtrip

Today we walked from Driggs Elementary to Olympus High to see the first half of the musical "Into the Woods." Which the kids liked, but not as much as the walk there.


We left at about 9:15 am and walked for 15 minutes. Grades 1-6 went. That's everyobody but about 40 five year olds.


The principal came over the intercom before we left and made sure the students understood about the safety of it all. There are no sidewalks in this neighbohood, so they had to stay in a singlefile line in the bike lane. I was busy in the bathroom while he was talking, so I figured my kids were in the classroom being rowdy and ignoring him. They usually ignore me when I talk about safety.


But the kids totally listened!


While we were walking I was so busy worrying and keeping an eye on my class, that I didn't even look up and notice this darling picture until it was almost too late . . .



. . . 600 students walking singlefile along the road with their teachers, kicking leaves and enjoying a cool but not cold morning. Cars were stopping just to look. 600 students actually listened today! Holy Cow! I would feel like that teacher in "Dead Poet's Society" if I had had anything to do with this.

The kids were really polite, and well behaved. They would give me looks when I said something about "fieldtrip manners" like "Ms. Pettit, you're freaking out. Settle down. This one we've got under control."

Also, the leaves were gorgeous today for the first time, which added to the magic (sorry to get all corny but it's true).


So, While I'm tired and ready for a weekend, I am so proud of my Driggs' Dragons!

1 comment:

Sharlon said...

Wow! 600 students, and all obeying at one time, you and all your fellow teachers are doing a great job!!!

Love the pics, they are awesome!!!